Friday, October 21, 2016

What to expect during the very first week in Santiago?

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



Wednesday morning, the 12th of October 2016, 6am…..I started my big journey to Chile. It took me 37 hours from door to door as there are no direct flights from Serbia to Santiago, Chile. I had to change flights, airports, vehicles and it seemed to be a hassle, but in the end I really enjoyed every single part of my trip. Thank you LATAM for safe, comfortable and fast flights; I got to every destination ahead of time.
Thursday afternoon, the 13th of October 2016, 2pm…..I arrived at a beautiful apartment in Macul, Santiago. When I arrived, the first impressions were definitely people who I met; very kind and generous persons at home as well as on the street or in a supermarket. I immediately went to the closest convenient store where I encountered the first problem – my debit card didn’t function. As I didn’t have Chilean pesos yet, a cashier tried some different options on a machine for my debit card and was very patient with my limited knowledge of Spanish. In the end, my host paid for me. So, yes, people are very generous and kind here, willing to help no matter what it is about. 
 
It has been a week since I arrived in this enormous capital. The population is 7 million and in rush hours it looks like a jungle on one hand, but on the other hand there are people waiting in a long queue to get on the bus. There are many new luxurious buildings among little, weak and old houses which might not resist the next strong wind. Downtown you can see many street vendors sitting on the pavement or standing at their stalls and selling jewelry made of wood or metal, fruits, food, old world maps, clothes, books and even mobile cards which you can obtain for free at the operator’s shop.
After 5 rainy and cold and 2 sunny and warm days, I can say that this South American capital is blooming in every sense of the word. New modern buildings have started to reach the sky, people are chasing their own place under the sun and spring has just started…..as well as my new life experience in Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment